Helping Fathers Prevail In Support Modifications

When your circumstances change, your child support obligations may need to be changed to reflect that. If you need to increase or decrease your child support, you need a request for a formal modification of your child support order from the family court.

More Than 30 Years Representing Fathers Rights In Child Support Modifications

The fathers rights law firm of Norma Beedle (APLC), located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, is committed to making sure the law treats fathers fairly and in a gender-neutral manner. If you need a child support modification, we can help you request one and ensure it is calculated fairly and correctly. Norma Beedle can help you with a child support modification request or answer your questions such as:

My income has gone down. Do I now pay less in child support?

If you have been laid off, taken a pay cut, or had your hours reduced, you may qualify for a reduction in your child support payments. Job loss and substantially reduced income constitute a "substantial change in circumstances" under the law, which means your child support payment could be recalculated under the Louisiana child support guidelines. You should consult with fathers rights attorney Norma Beedle right away.

If you are voluntarily unemployed or underemployed — you aren't working or took a lower-paying job by choice — the court may decide not to reduce your child support obligation. This is particularly true if you have done so with the intention of lowering your support payments.

My kids' mother and I agree on the child support change. Do we still have to go to court?

We strongly recommend it. If you work out a new agreement privately but do not have the court officially change your order, it can lead to problems later:

  • If your children's mother were to change her mind, she could go to court and demand payment of the original amount — and the court would order you to pay it.
  • You could be held in contempt of court and charged fines and interest. You could also find yourself facing other penalties for nonpayment of child support, which could include a reduction in your parenting time, loss of your driver's license, and even jail time.

I have remarried. Will my new wife's income make my child support payments go up?

In most cases, no. If your children's mother requests a modification to your child support, your new spouse's income is only taken into account if it is directly used to reduce your actual living expenses. For instance, if your new spouse now contributes to your mortgage payment, utilities, etc., the court may recalculate your child support obligation using the lower living expense amount.

Are there other situations where I can ask for my child support payments to be lowered?

Yes. For example, you may have taken on new substantial obligations or debt such as extraordinary medical expenses. If you have lost your job, you may now be helping with day care. There are many situations that could qualify you for a modification for your child support.

No matter what change in circumstances have occurred in your life, we are here to answer your questions and work with you to ensure you are paying the proper amount of child support. Contact us if you have further questions or need help protecting your rights.